Please tell me how to switch a foreign driver’s license to a Japanese one.
A driver can switch a foreign driver’s license to only a Japanese Category 1 license
- Reception days
Monday to Friday (except National holidays, weekends and between Dec. 29 and Jan. 3)
- Reception hours
※ Reservation required
- Location for application
Akashi Driver’s License Examination Office (Room No.7 for Foreign Driver’s License Screening)
- List of necessities for application
- (1) A photo (3cm height×2.4 cm width, taken in the last 6 months, no hats, facing forward, from the shoulders up, no background, both eyes opened)
- (2) A valid foreign driver’s license
- (3) A Japanese translation of the above-mentioned foreign driver’s license
- a. A translation by the embassy or consulate(for a Taiwanese driver’s license, a translation by the Taiwan-Japan Relations Association)
- b. A translation by JAF (Japanese Automobile Federation)
- c. A translation by ZIPLUS, Inc.(They are capable of translating following countries’ driver’s license; Taiwan, the United States, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong and Philippines)
- d. A translation by ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V.)
- (4) A Japanese Driver’s License (only a driver who has valid license or held one before)
- (5) A Certificate of residence which stated your nationality or domicile of origin
- My Number Card’s personal number is not required.
- (６) Passport
- a. Things which can prove you have stayed in the foreign country over three months in total after you obtained a foreign country’s driver’s license. (Depending on the date of obtaining the license, you might need previous passports, so please bring all of your passports if you have more than one.)
- b. In case you do not have required previous passports or emigration and immigration record in the passport, please get a certificate of immigration’s record.
- (７) When you need additional materials.(Example)
- a. When you have a foreign license without issued or expiry date, or the date of obtaining the initial license is unclear.
- b. When you have a Philippine driver’s license.
“Official Receipt”, “Red Ribbon” and “Apostille”
- c. When you have a Brazilian driver’s license
Certidao de Prontuario
- d. When you have a Canadian or Australian driver’s license
Depending on the states, driving records are required.
- e. When you have a Nepali driver’s license
A Certificate of Embassy or Driving records
- f. When you have a Chinese driver’s license
- g. When you have a Pakistani driver’s license
A Certificate of Embassy or a Driver’s License Certificate
- h. When you have a Syrian driver’s license
A Certificate of Embassy
- ※１ Required documents are vary depending on issuing country, so please contact us in advance.
- ※２ As a result of screening, additional documents might be required or your document will be rejected.
- ※３ We will designate the date and time of driving skill test after you pass questioning,document screening, aptitude test and knowledge test.
- ※４ If you are non-Japanese speaker, please be accompanied with an interpreter.
Examination Fee Mopeds
Light-duty special vehicles
1,500yen Regular vehicles 2,550yen Large vehicles
4,100yen Large motorcycles
2,600yen Issuing Fee 2,050yen ※ Please purchase Examination fee and Issuing fee separately. (Due to differences in payment destinations) For example, when you switch your foreign driver’s license to a Japanese moped driver’s license, 【Examination fee】 【Issuing fee】 \1,500 in total. \2,050 in total.
Driver’s License Examination Office:(078)-912-1628 weekdays only, from 13:00 to 16:00